Serpentine/Peel Inlet Cruise 1st October 2017
OGA Dumbleyung Rally 6/7/8 October – not to be missed!
This is your opportunity for something different – a sailing rally on Lake Dumbleyung the weekend of 7/8 October while there is plenty of water to keep us afloat (thanks Geoff V for the excellent photos attached).
I'm not going to provide a lot of detailed instructions, but leave much of this open to you all as a bit of a challenge to investigate and plan the weekend to your taste. As a starting point: head down Albany Highway, turn left at Arthur River, through Wagin heading for Lake Grace and you will find Dumbleyung on the way.
Some things I will tell you:
- Most important – All are welcome – just turn up!
- I plan to head down on Friday 6th Oct to have all day Saturday there and head back late on Sunday 8th.
- Check out the excellent Shire of Dumbleyung website for maps, accommodation, food, thing to do etc (or check out their stand at the Royal Show).
- The launch ramp at the Lake Dumbleyung Sailing Club is about 16k out of town and as the lake is a nature reserve there is no free camping there (but you could sleep aboard your boat anchored offshore)
- Alternatively there is camping at the Dumbleyung Caravan Park, a B&B, or the Grande Olde Dumbleyung Inn – best to book asap.
- Debbie and I have booked at the Inn and she is bringing her sewing machine to occupy her day while we go messing about in boats.
- The Inn should be fairly quiet on the Friday night but I understand they are holding a speed shearing competition on the Saturday, followed by Karaoke – you have been warned! (but should be fun!)
- As far as sailing/rowing/motoring is concerned we will play it by ear and make decisions at the lake on the Saturday morning, provisionally 10:00 am at the Sailing Club ramp (but be assured there will be some competitive element with suitable awards and the wooden spooner being expected to stand a round at the inn) .
- For those of you that can make it on the Friday, I suggest 19:00 at the bar in the Inn – hope to see you all then!
- For those of you that may be later than 10:00 on the Saturday, if we have sailed over the horizon I will keep a watch on VHF Ch 72 to let you know where we are.
- I am copying the Dumbleyung Sailing Club Commodore (Jon Ward) in this email and hope that he will be able to encourage some of the local boats to blow off the dust and join us on the water. (Jon: I would appreciate if you would let the Shire know that we will be invading their territory that w/e.)
- And don't worry about the Google Maps view of all the sand – look at the more recent photos attached!
PLEASE: let me know if you are interested in in taking part in this special weekend – no commitment, but I would like an idea of numbers.
I think that's about it – give me a call or email if you want to discuss anything further.
All the best and see you there!
OGA C Fleet Captain
+61 418 918 050
OGA of WA 2017 - 2018 Program of Events.